Monday, March 9, 2015

Sunny Eggs & Veggies

Hi everyone,

My name is Jessica as you all probably know or have come to figure out. I have created this blog, Jessica's Plate, as a spin off from the previous blog I created documenting my journey through the fitness program Insanity Max 30 (http://jessicainsanitymax30.blogspot.com).

Before I begin on my first official entry and what I intend to include in this blog, I'd like to write a little about myself. I think it's important to know where a person comes from, especially if you're going to take time out of your life to read the things they post. It will also help paint a bigger picture as to why and how I've ended up where I am today.

As long as I can remember, food has always been a struggle for me. I was always an overeater/ binge eater who somehow remained thin and in shape in high school. I was also very active and had a higher metabolism which helped keep me thin. However at the time, I never would have called myself thin or thought I was thin because I ALWAYS thought I was fat. My struggles with food and body image go way back. I was always the person to eat my emotions and after going through some traumatic experiences, it really got the best of me. Once I added alcohol and lack of exercise to the mix, it was game over for my waist line, mental health, and physical health. I developed severe anxiety and have been battling with it for over 6 years. Due to the anxiety, I began having problems with my heart and my asthma became significantly worse. And with this all together, I came to weigh the heaviest I had ever been, and feeling absolutely disgusted with myself.

I have tried MANY times to lose weight, but I could never stick with it. I always felt deprived or hungry. The more I knew I couldn't have something, the more I wanted it. Working out was no longer enjoyable for me and it became a huge chore to get through everyday. Nothing I did for years worked, no matter how many times I tried. The biggest problem was I never really understood food. Sure, I knew eating salads and drinking water was healthy, but who wants to eat salad every day? Definitely not me. I also hated counting calories and measuring out portions. The biggest problem was I hated almost everything I was eating and it always felt like such a burden. I always gave up, would binge, and gain back any weight I lost plus some.

I finally realized dieting just does not work for me. I needed a life style change, not only to lose weight but to gain my life back as well. I started reading and educating myself a lot about food. I read about companies who use chemicals and toxins in their food to make a consumer "addicted". I learned about brain chemistry and how it relates to eating. For example: when you eat oreos for breakfast, you keep eating more because your body isn't being properly nourished. So your brain keeps sending hunger signals which causes you to eat more and more oreos. Obviously this causes weight gain along with other health issues. It's an endless cycle, and it's scary. I learned about satiety and what it means to actually nourish your body to make it feel full, not bloated and disgusting. I learned about inflammation in the stomach and how it effects your digestion. I learned COUNTLESS things I could go on about. The biggest accomplishment in this research and education has been applying it to my own life and not only losing weight, but improving my health dramatically.

The biggest tools that have helped me with losing weight and gaining my health back are 1. the book It Starts with Food and 2. Insanity Max 30. I seriously cannot say enough wonderful things about It Starts with Food. It has changed my life, and I will forever be thankful.

After I started losing weight, people in my life really began asking me what I'm doing, how I'm doing it, what I eat, etc. So I wanted to make this blog to show others and possibly help them. Food has really become a passion of mine and I hope to continue to share more and more. I'm going to continue to write posts but also include many recipes.

To me, getting in a morning routine and the first meal of the day are extremely important. I am a very routine type person and do the same thing almost every morning. It just helps the rest of my day flow. Maybe you're not a person who enjoys a set routine, but the first meal you eat everyday is extremely important. It sets the tone for the rest of the day and gives you energy to get your day started. Below is a photo of my breakfast this morning, it is very similar to this every day. I included directions on making as well if you'd like to give it a try, it is super easy!


Sunny Eggs & Veggies 

What you'll need
3 eggs (I use organic, cage free)
1 handful baby spinach 
1 zucchini 
2 tablespoons coconut oil (unrefined, organic) 
olive oil cooking spray 
1 banana 

Directions 
1. Wash zucchini and slice to desired thickness 
2. Using two pans, spray one with olive oil cooking spray and heat around low-medium heat (go more towards medium, I use setting 4 on my stove)- you will use this pan to cook the eggs in. In the other pan, set heat to medium (setting 5) and put 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in pan- you will use this pan for the zucchini. 
3. Wait for the coconut oil to spread and turn to liquid so it coats the pan, add the zucchini and cover with a lid, stirring and flipping occasionally. 
4. After adding the zucchini, crack 3 eggs into other pan and cover. 
5. While the zucchini and eggs are cooking take a handful of baby spinach and place on half the plate. 
6. How to tell when the zucchini and eggs are done: 
Zucchini- the zucchini will become soft and should look wet on both sides. I like to cook mine a little longer until the outsides turn slightly golden brown. 
Sunny Side Up Eggs- these take practice. when you take the lid off, you should be able to run your spatula across the white portion of the egg without it feeling runny. If the yolk develops a white film look over it, they are definitely done but the yolks may cook through within a minute or two. 
*If you don't want sunny side up you can easily substitute for cooking the eggs however you like. 
7. Place eggs over top the spinach and zucchini on the other half of the plate. Season both with sea salt and pepper 

I like to eat mine with a banana and a large glass of water. 

This recipe is super fast and easy. It takes about 15 minutes to make and is a very nutritious breakfast. 

Thanks for reading!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment